Přeložit stránku do češtiny

Kids in Prague

Indoor Playground Andel Shopping Centre, Prague 5

Indoor Playgrounds on 24 March 2009 by Darina (14 comments)

image

NEW DESIGN after reconstruction!!! What do you think? I have been going to this kids play area for some time, therefore it doesn’t really surprise me that it is right next to public toilets in Novy Smichov Shopping Mall at Andel. So don’t be put off by the approach. It’s kind of strange when you slalom in between people queuing to use the WC as they say in Czech, but it’s worth it, if and when you manage to get in.

The play area is nice and clean and they baby sit kids from 3 years up. Younger children can enter only with you in attendance. There are little lockers for personal belongings and you can park your pram in the corridor safely. After you register your child and leave them your phone number, you can all go wild in the 155 m2 play area.

image

Children slide on a small slide into the ball pool, drive around on bikes, play with toys or watch cartoons. There is also a table for drawing but it seemed to me that I was the only one drawing there as many of the kids were being baby sat by the sitters who didn’t really pay much attention to the children. The maximum capacity of kids in the playground is 30. There are always 2 baby sitters and they claim that they have basic English skills or simply use non verbal cues to communicate with the kids.
Last time we went there I was a bit shocked by the way one of the sitters was treating some kids whose parents had left them there to play alone. She was constantly nagging on one boy in particular, telling him how to behave and making him tidy up the toys. I figured that he was her child that she had taken to work with her, but then his parents turned up.

There is nothing wrong with teaching kids to behave and to clean up after themselves, but not from others thank you - I will educate my kids myself and play areas are meant to be for playing. These girls are paid to clean the mess if anything - right? Maybe I am just getting too allergic to Czech aggression; a form of old fashioned hospitality and service.
image

So, for sure your child will be safe, however do not expect too much interaction from the staff. I guess it’s alright if you just leave them there for few hours. On the other hand I have heard some mothers who put their kids in there for the whole day. I’ve visited this indoor playground 5 times and only once we were unable to get in because of full occupancy.

If this happens, I suggest you take your kids upstairs to McDonald’s (not to eat, but to play) where they have a climbing tower with a slide that keeps them busy. If the weather is kind then very close by you will find Sacre Couer Playground which I highly recommend.
imageimage

When heading to the indoor playground with a pram please make sure you use the lifts as it is much easier than winding through the whole Mall on the escalators. Take the lift to level 1 and you’ll find it right there, its called Detsky koutek in Czech. They also claim to have regular programs for kids but I have never experienced one as yet. I have to also mention that they have kid’s toilets and a changing table with wet wipes and nappies in case you forget.

What I am quite happy about is that the TV is not on all the time but only when there are too many kids and the sitters are finding it a little too much to handle. I really appreciate that they do not over use the TV since the latest studies have shown that if your child watches TV for more than 2 hours a day they may be facing future concentration problems in school.

image

Prices have increased after the revamp, here is the latest pricing information per child:
0 - 60 min 50 CZK
61 - 75 min 70 CZK
76 - 90 min 90 CZK
91 - 105 min 110 CZK
106 - 120min 130 CZK
121 - 135 min 180 CZK
136 - 150 min 230 CZK
151 - 165 min 280 CZK
166 - 180 min 330 CZK
181 - 240 min 780 CZK

NB: If you don´t pick up your child by 21:00 you will be charged 120 CZK extra

imageimage
New photos courtesy of Karen.

OPEN: 10:00 - 21:00

ADDRESS: Holečkova street, Prague 5 - Smichov

DIRECTIONS: Easily reached by public transport and by car. You can park underneath in the huge car park at Novy Smichov Shopping Mall. The first 3 hours are free, on weekends the first 5 hours are free. By Metro take the yellow B line to station ANDEL. Or trams 4, 7, 9, 10, 12 to tram stop ANDEL.

FURTHER INFORMATION: see http://www.novysmichov.eu/en/detsky-koutek

The closest International hotels are: Moevepick, Ibis, Angelo, Andels

• Andrea on 01 September 2008 @ 11:52 AM

there is a new staff now, they are ok, I was there with my son, sometimes we go there to play, but I must be there with him, he is too young. The staff called the children to have a drink every 20 minutes. By the way I did not find any connections to the cultural and mother centres (mateřské centrum in Czech), most of them are really good. If you are interested in more information, just send me an e-mail.

• Darina on 06 September 2008 @ 04:54 AM

Hi Andrea. How old is your son? Thank you for the comments, its good to know things are getting better.
    We are planning to cover mother centers as well as many other things in Prague, however I called several of them and they don´t have program for English speaking community.
    We are also trying to find swimming lessons for babies in English.
    We would be very happy if you send us any suggestions or links to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) (we have this address mentioned in section ABOUT :-)

• Suzanne on 21 September 2008 @ 09:59 AM

This is a great indoor children’s play area and as a regular for 12 months now I can highly recommend it.  It is a fantastic location as it is so easy to park in the shopping centre’s underground carpark or to get to Smichov by tram.  Some of the staff speak English and they are really sweet - especially once they recognise you as a regular.  On Wednesdays from 10-12 they have a mother’s morning and it is 2 hours for the price of 1.  It is a bit busier at this time as it is mainly toddlers and Czech mums (I haven’t met any English speaking mums as yet) but it is a nice time to go if you want your child to interact with other toddlers.  Best of all buy a take away coffee from Coffee Heaven downstairs and relax for a while your child plays and then jump in the ball pit with them!

• Adina on 28 October 2008 @ 08:09 AM

I have a 14 months toddler and as it is raining almost every day, I’m looking for an indoor playground to go. Can anybody tell me where is he allowed, as most of the playground accept children over 3 years old? Thanks

• Darina on 28 October 2008 @ 08:22 AM

Hi Adina,

The one on Andel as well as others do allow children from any age, the only limitation is, children up to 3 years must come in with attendance = you or somebody else has to stay there with your baby. Kids over 3 y can be left to be baby-sat.
    Same goes for: Clovickov:http://www.kidsinprague.com/post/clovickov-indoor-playground-prague-5/, Nove Butovice: http://www.kidsinprague.com/post/indoor-playground-at-galerie-nove-butovice-prague-5/

I suggest going through all our entries about Indoor Playgrounds that explain the rules :-) I was always allowed into all of them except the one at Chodov (they have small electric cars-dangerous to small kids) and my boys are both under 3 years.

• Adina on 28 October 2008 @ 08:45 AM

Super! I’ll try the one in andel. I’m living in Vinohrady, but as I saw, there is none closer than this. Thanks again

• Darina on 28 October 2008 @ 08:55 AM

Actually, there is one - in Palac Flora shopping mall right on Vinohrady, on the first floor and the entry about it will be up soon on kidsinprague.com
    Another one - closer to you than Andel is newly opened: Edik : http://www.kidsinprague.com/post/indoor-playground-eden-shopping-centre-prague-10/

• Larissa on 29 October 2008 @ 03:45 PM

Adina, We will be publishing an entry on Palac Flora on Friday evening so come back and take a look. We would have published it earlier but the indoor playground was recently moved and refurbished so I had to update my story and pictures.

• Rosemary on 19 January 2009 @ 10:10 AM

Prices for the Andel indoor playground has gone up after the renovation….it’s 50CZK and up now…and of cos super crowded…I only managed to peep in but will try to go back there again to check it out….my 20 month old boy is getting bored with just one playmate…me…:)

• Darina on 22 January 2009 @ 10:53 PM

Hello Rosemary,

thank you for the info. Did the playground change image as well?
    In that case we would have to go back and make new pictures…
    I have been going lately only to Zlicin to CLovickov and Time out. Always happy there :-)

Darina

• Neil Jones-Newton on 24 February 2009 @ 04:19 PM

Hi All,
    just visited this place, decor done nice, but a bit cluttered, the young Lady on the desk very nice and spoke good English. They have also revamped the prices, the old price was >
    106 - 120min 64 CZK
    Now its >
    106-120 Min 130 CZK ..  Doubled
    PLUS 30 CZK per visit if the parent has to stay there because they are under 3,so total for a 2 hour visit-
    160 CZK.
    Too steep for me

• Darina on 24 February 2009 @ 07:57 PM

Oh My God, that is alot :-(
    probbably their way how not to get so packed as they used to:-(

Did they change the decor? Are our pictures up-to-date?

• Neil Jones-Newton on 24 February 2009 @ 08:42 PM

Hi Darina,
    I think its handy if you want to go shopping for an hour, but thats it.
    The decor is now in the theme of Asterix and there is alot more play items there, as I said it quite cluttered now compared to your original photos.
    Thanks for the site and info..

• Darina on 24 March 2009 @ 11:07 PM

OK, we got new pictures by now, but we dont have the new official price-list except your kind info. Do you have it by any chance? if anybody had some better pictures pls feel free to send it to us and we can put it up

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.