Přeložit stránku do češtiny

Kids in Prague

Fairy Tale Garden at Berchtold Chateau, Kunice

Playgrounds, Activities, Day Trips on 03 April 2011 by Darina (6 comments)

image

It’s a small Chateau in Kunice just a few km away form Prague towards Brno. The owners decided to change their gardens into fairy tale land for kids with fairy tale creatures and miniatures of Czech castles. Part of the whole complex is a Mini Zoo, a large playground, tennis courts and indoor table tennis. We spent perfect Sunday afternoon here.

At the moment the Chateau is being reconstructed into a hotel with a restaurant and it will be opened in July, 2011. Together with the gardens it belongs to a Czech family who invested their own money to create this fairy land for kids.

image

It may have something to do with the fact that the owners have 3 small children, the youngest one is just 6 months old. As the owner says he has produced his own customers. The first expression that comes to mind mind when recalling the experience is neat and clean. Everything is so well thought through and is detailed and cared for with love.

image

When we arrived we were quite hungry and for some reason I thought there must be a restaurant within the whole complex. Not yet. You can order pizza, sausages and ice-cream at the reception and that’s about it. The restaurant should be opened in the reconstructed Chateau when it opens for business, scheduled for 1.6.2011. They already have the menu on the web so it looks like its happening. For now you have to stick to pizza or visit one of the restaurants nearby. We settled for the pizza and it wasn’t bad at all.

imageimage

To enter the Fairy Tale Garden you have to purchase a ticket at the reception of the sport clubs. Here you will be given a password you have to tell at the gate after you ring the bell. Now this could be quite funny exercises for foreigners!

image

Just the garden itself will take you at least an hour to walk through. The biggest attraction was the Baba Jaga house and visit into the Devils Dungeon. It’s actually very amusing to walk in the cave with 2 life size devils with red, blinking eyes and mysterious music in the air. My boys were mesmerised and stood there respectfully.

imageimage

They kept going inside and out and could not leave. The Devil cave was just too tempting. Eventually my Nikki came up with an idea to throw stones at the devil and grouped 5 kids together with him for the attack. So I had to drag them out and move to another attraction.

image

From there we went to play tennis for an hour together with the boys. We brought our own rackets but you can borrow everything right on the spot. If you prefer table tennis there is a separate room with a table and again you can get all the gear at the reception. For small fee of course.

imageimage

Latest thing they have is an indoor golf training field. The weather was gorgeous and our last stop was the big playground where me and hubby lay on the grass while boys ran around with other kids. Even here at the playground there is a small table where you can bring a picnic.

image

If you wish to organize a bonfire, upon request you can have it in the gardens. I am very much tempted to go there in the autumn months and do the typical Czech sausage roasting on an open fire.

imageimage

Oh, I almost forgot Mini Zoo pictures. It isn’t big, there are few goats, rabbits and pigeons but all together within the whole complex it is a nice touch.

image

OPEN: 08:00-21:00 every day. Between November and March some of the displays may be under construction.

ADDRESS: Vidovice 6, Kunice

DIRECTIONS: By Car: Berchtold Castle is located in the village Kunice in the Central region about 15.5km from Prague on the Brno D1, take the Vsechromy Exit 15, Great Popovice turn and turn towards Vsechromy, Strančice. After entering the village Strančice turn right and turn toward the alley of Cherry Kunice, which continue along the main road about 1.5 km and turn left at the sloping wall of the park.
By train and bus: From Prague - Main Station (or Benešov) runs every 60 minutes by train, which stops in Strančice. On this route follows the bus line 461, which goes to Kunice. Get off at bus stop Vidovice, which is located about 400 m from the sports centre (50 m from the park).
GPS souřadnice: 49°55’44″N, 14°40’2.998″E

CALENDER OF EVENTS: http://www.zamekberchtold.cz/o-nas/kalendar-akci/hlavni-akce/ (only in Czech)

UPCOMING EVENTS:  23.4. EASTER – Welcoming of Easter, Eggs decorating, 30.4. WITCH BURNING – music, fun, bonfire, march through the park in masks

FURTHER INFORMATION: http://www.zamekberchtold.cz/  (in Czech only)

• Darina on 03 April 2011 @ 10:34 PM

Would definitely consider for my little guy. Seems like a BRILLIANT idea. It’s a superb article. Wow.

• Larissa on 04 April 2011 @ 02:35 PM

I have to laugh - we are going through a bit of a miniature phase here at Kids in Prague! Looks like a fantastic place D - anyone up for tennis?

• Richard on 10 April 2011 @ 03:59 PM

Went here today - it is very disappointing and we will not return.
    Our 4 year old could not use much of the children’s playground as the climbing features are designed for older kids.  There is no safety matting - just gravel for your child to fall into.  The same gravel is used on all the paths which makes it very hard if you have a pram which we did for our 3 month old.  The miniatures are equally disappointing - there is no supervision so they have been damaged.  And the toilets were unhygienic.

• Darina on 11 April 2011 @ 11:46 AM

Hello Richard, this is a surprise, seriously. I went there with 4 year old and 5 year old and they were happy at the playground. You say the miniatures were damaged. WHAT A SHAME. I dont understand people who do such things. They are so cute.. :-( I actually read on their web they do take some time off in winter to repair the damaged expositions. Di you see the devil? was that open? Youknow what? I will write to the owner and make him read your comment. Lets see what he has to say.
    I am seriously sad to read your comment because we spent a great day there the whole family and many of my fiends who went after us liked it. It is all privatelly owned so they dont really have to follow any EU standards when it comes to safety matting.
    I have more pictures from there here:

I here your dissapointment, yet again I still stick to what I have written. I think it awesome for kids to see the fairy-tale creatures such as devil, dragon, witch :-) wish you had different experince.

• Darina on 11 April 2011 @ 11:56 AM

So I spoke with them and actually the minitures were under reconstruction over winter, so I not sure which one you are talking about.
    I just sent the email to the owner Mr. ruzicka to see what he has to say to your unsatisfaction. Lets see what he will come back with.
    Have a great day

• Vašek on 12 April 2011 @ 09:43 AM

Dear Richard,
    I am very sorry that you have such a bad experience. Children´s playground is made from Tom´s business park, which has European certification and it makes various components of the game according to European norms (if you want to see certificates, I can send it to your email). As for the gravel roads in the park, we know that they are not too practical for prams, not only because it - everyone is allowed to run, walk or ride with a pram across the grass, which is much easier. Miniatures of castles and chateaus are gradually reconstructing. Regarding toilets, we have adopted such measures so that such bad experiences are not repeated in the future. Please accept apologies from us as a gift voucher service to the premises of HOTEL chateau BERCHTOLD. If you want, please send us an address where we can deliver the voucher, to the address .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Thank you for your feedback and warnings, and I believe that we can turn your bad experience in a pleasant experience.

Václav Růžička
    owner of the premises of HOTEL chateau BERCHTOLD

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.