Přeložit stránku do češtiny

Kids in Prague

Vytopna Restaurant with play area, Prague 1

Restaurants and Cafes on 20 October 2011 by Larissa (10 comments)

image

PLEASE - read the comments below this article. It is important. Looks like the restaurants changed its manners and you can go here only at your own risk. - Ok now we’ve hit typically miserable November weather so it’s time to share a place I’ve been keeping secret for a while. There is a fantastic miniature train restaurant in the middle of Prague that you and the kids will absolutely love. Guaranteed!

So a brief description, Vytopna (which translates as Boiler Room) is a restaurant where tables are surrounded by train tracks, bridges, villages and a fantastic collection of trains which are individually named. Every table has a track that runs into the middle of it and when you order a drink a train will arrive carrying your order. You can also deposit your empty glasses onboard. The busier the restaurant, the busier the train tracks become and you will be constantly passed by steam locomotives, electric trains and freight trains complete with sound effects.

image

Lucie screamed with excitement when entering the restaurant and even when seated as she is a huge train buff - encouraged by my husband and my father (we have 3 train sets in our house)! She was given a child’s menu which doubles as a colouring in page, as well as a jar of coloured pencils. She could barely pay attention to her colouring in though, what with all the trains passing by regularly.

image

The kid’s menu offer up 5 options and each is given a name - Trevor (pasta dish), Gordon (nuggets with mash), Toby (fried cheese with fries), Tomas (icecream sundae with smarties and jelly bears) and Neposlusny vagon (naughty wagon: hamburger with chips). Dishes are priced between 55 to 79czk. Adult food is typically czech - David had Snitzel and I had some salmon - food was fine but nothing special. It’s worth noting that they have a daily lunch menu which is good value. Drinks were the fun part - I couldn’t help but order another large draft beer - it really was fun having a little engine pull up to your table.

image

Vytopna is on the first floor of Palac Fenix and looks out over Vaclavske Namesti, the location is very central and it’s nice having another family friendly option in this part of town. There is a corner set aside for large bookings - I’d say at a guess the table would seat maximum 20 people - ideal for an older child’s birthday. There is also a fairly decent sized kids corner stocked with games and art supplies.

image

I’d say this place could be quite busy at weekends and especially so at this time of the year when the weather is horrid and many Prague families abandon their chata. Best would be to book in advance to avoid disappointment, otherwise you could do what we did and just turn up for an early dinner mid-week.

imageimage

I really love this place and couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I also seriously want to take a few friends here for drinks before venturing to retro disco Lucerna which is conveniently a few buildings down. I must add that this is the third Vytopna in Czech Republic - the very first opened in Brno and another one in Orlova, Ostrava - so if you live in or near either of these towns go check them out!

imageimage

So along with Marina Grosetto we now have two new exciting places to entertain kids over these challenging winter months. So which gets our vote this weekend… the train or boat restaurant?

image

ADDRESS: Václavské nám. 56 (Palác Fénix), Prague 1

OPEN: Monday to Thursday 11.00 to 23:30, Friday and Saturday 11.00 till late and Sundays 11.00 to 23.30

RESERVATIONS: by web: http://praha.vytopna.cz/rezervace/ (in czech) or phone 725 190 646 or you could try by email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

DIRECTIONS: BY METRO: Take the green line A to Museum and walk to Palác Fénix (which has a KFC at street level). BY TRAM: Take tram number 11 to Museum or 3, 9, 14 or 24 to Vaclavske Namesti. BY CAR: Paid parking is available in Vaclavske Namesti and opposite the State Opera.

FURTHER INFORMATION: http://praha.vytopna.cz/ (in Czech only) which has an extensive photo gallery of venue and engines

• Juliana on 14 August 2011 @ 08:16 PM

Yes, the large toy train network is very special, all the rest is however below average. They overcharge and underserve you! The beef on mashed potato with sticky mushroom sauce was greasy and definitely low quality. The beef in vegetable sauce with dumpling not any better. Caprese salad was a small bowl of cherry tomatoes, few mozarella balls, tasteless black olives, all topped with some definitely not home made basil paste. The kid’s meal consisted of burned french fries and tasteless chicken nuggets. Including drinks (1 beer, 1 mineral water, 1 coke) we paid 785 CZK.
    Comments about the quality of food were disallowed by the waitress…. We left for McDonald’s, just across the street ....

• Darina on 27 August 2011 @ 08:59 PM

Jesus, what a shame :-( you know what? I will write to the management to read your comment. I have to admit when we were there the food wasnt outstanding - but wasnt THAT BAD. I wonder why their service level went down so much :-( it would be shame if they closed down just because they couldnt manage it - its a great idea :-( It aslo sound as a typical Bad Czech Attitude in restaurants.  :-(
    Thank you for the information - for the time being I suggest just to have a drink there to experience the trains. WOuld you mind if I re-sent your comment to the restaurant manager?

• JULIANA on 04 September 2011 @ 02:57 PM

If it helps improving the quality, definitely yes, send it to them!!!And thank you for the feedback.

• Larissa on 07 September 2011 @ 05:39 PM

Yes I think Juliana has a valid point. When it first opened the food was never fabulous but ok. But over the last 6 months or so the food quality has deteriorated. Service for us has been ok though.

• Irena on 26 October 2011 @ 03:45 PM

I have a very disappointing experience in this restaurant and haven’t even tasted the food! We made a reservation for our family saying that we have a 1 year child. When we came, to our surprise, we were not allowed to have our pram near the table because it would take space for potential clients. The waiters were not at all friendly, when I told them that our child is actually sleeping in the pram and I can not take him out, they said that it’s not their problem. And then they just totally ingored us, so we left. I was really embarassed, especially because I was with my French relatives and wanted to show them a nice, original Czech restaurant…

• Darina on 26 October 2011 @ 10:30 PM

WHAT?? That is terrible. You know what - we are going to writeto the beginning of this article toread following comments - so people go there only at their own risk. Will doit now.

• Irena on 28 October 2011 @ 09:38 PM

Thank you Darina. Really appreciate.

• Tyna on 11 December 2011 @ 10:47 PM

OK, we went there although I read all above. And you were all so right, the food is really bad. Never again!

• Aaron on 16 December 2011 @ 01:22 PM

I’ve been to this place about 4 times. The first was ok since I knew the waiter - he sent the train to the table a number of times, with lollipops, etc. The food was always bad and I think got worse. I’ve had a few of the worst meals I’ve ever had in CZ, after 11 years here. Maybe the worst meal I’ve ever had in my life. Obviously I didn’t much of it. The kids food is the worst fried crap you can imagine - nothing I want my kid to eat. Last time I was there the train came only once with drinks. It was really smokey and the food sucked as usual. Honestly, I can’t imagine why any would come to this place WITHOUT kids, but there were mostly tables full adults smoking and drinking beer. And it’s way, way, way overpriced. Maybe, if the food was edible and the service decent it would be tolerable. Never again. Avoid this place except for a quick drink (at the most).

• Sari on 28 March 2012 @ 09:22 AM

Hi, we are coming to Prague on Easter and our daughter is eager to go to Vytopna restaurant again - we visited Vytopna a year ago (thanks to this site). By then food was ok, not great though, and so was the service. But: anyone been there lately? Is the situation still the same - miserable - as it has been few months ago? I am wondering which would be greater disappointment to our kid - to go or not to go there…

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.